Saturday, December 3, 2011

Seven Wonders of Second Life

1) The Abyss Observatory - I chose this site because I was so captivated by the scenery.  It is also a great educational tool for learning about undersea happenings, but I couldn't stop watching the animations...sooo real!  I was a little uneasy having Killer Whales swim right next to me.

2) Sploland - I chose this place because there were so many other resources provided.  Many things here were interactive and ready to use, but the wealth of other resources was what attracted me the most.


3) The Tech Virtual - I saw some things here that I'd been hoping to find all along....one of them being the electrons moving around the hydrogen and oxygen atoms of water showing the bonding.  It was also great to see a place that was there to help visitors learn to build these kinds of things.

4) Upward Bound Math & Science Island - I chose this place primarily because it was aimed at high schoolers, math, and science.  It also provided resources for careers and college.  Check out that aspirin molecule...there's one for caffeine off in the distance.

5) Genome Island - I loved this one because it was so interactive.  The picture below shows where visitors can test their knowledge of protein synthesis during translation of DNA.  There were several examples like this on the island.

6) Green Expo on OneClimate Island - I was initially drawn to the Carbon Dioxide Calculator.  Visitors are able to click and be directed to a website that calculates their carbon dioxide 'footprint'.  I like to make sure students know that what they do can have an impact...I will add this site to my resources for sure.

7) Happy Hippo Building School - I SOOOO wish I would have found this place sooner. It has free tutorials about how to build things in SL. There are also a variety of textures, scripts, and objects displayed...some are free, others are for purchase.  Awesome resource!  I would suggest adding it to ones you give out.




No comments:

Post a Comment